The world of architecture is ever-changing with new technologies and trends appearing every day.
It’s no surprise that a critical tool for architects has been evolving over recent years too – the CAD printer.
For those among us who have ever worked in this field, you know how important it can be to have reliable, high-quality printing solutions to turn your ideas into real models and prototypes.
That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive guide to the best CAD printers for architects – helping you make an informed decision when it comes time to upgrade your equipment or find a reliable option for all your future projects!
Best CAD Printers For Architects (Used By Experts)
- Epson EcoTank-8850 — Highest Rated Best CAD Wireless Printer For Architects
- Canon iP8720 — 2nd Best Canon Wireless Printer For Architects Under 300$
- HP Envy Inspire 7955e — Best HP Printer For Architects Under 200$
- Epson SureColor P800 Inkjet Printer — The best high-end Printer For Architects
- Epson EcoTank ET-8550 —The best Wireless printer For Architects Under 1000$ & Highly Rated
- Canon Prograf 1000 — Best Printer Architects gallery-quality prints Under 1000$ & Highly Rated
- Canon PIXMA Pro 10 – Best Printer for Architect’s Office Use
- Brother HL-L8360CDW — The best laser printer for Architecture cad prints Under 500$
Let’s deep dive into it!
1. Epson EcoTank-8850 — Highest Rated Best CAD Printer For Architects
Architects need high-quality printing capabilities in order to bring their designs to life. The Epson EcoTank-8850 is the perfect solution for those looking for top-rated CAD printers. With a 4.3-inch colour touchscreen and Ethernet capabilities, this printer is also a scanner and copier.
It boasts cartridge-free printing, making it a great value with savings of up to 80% compared to traditional ink cartridges. This printer accommodates a variety of media sizes, including borderless photos up to 13″ x 19″. Additionally, it has a 2-year limited warranty with registration.
Save money and eliminate cartridge waste with the incredible performance of the Epson EcoTank-8850.
- Cartridge-Free Savings: Up to 80% cost reduction compared to traditional ink cartridges.
- Media Versatility: Supports various sizes, including borderless photos up to 13″ x 19″.
- Multifunctional Convenience: Integrated scanner and copier streamline architectural workflow.
- High Initial Cost: Potentially prohibitive for budget-conscious buyers.
- Large Footprint: Takes up substantial office space due to multifunctional design.
- Complex for Novices: Advanced features may pose a learning curve for less experienced users.
2. Canon iP8720 — 2nd Best Canon Wireless Printer For Architects Under 300$
As an architect, you know the importance of detail and quality in all your work. That’s why the Canon iP8720 wireless printer is the 2nd best Canon printer for architects.
With the ability to print photos up to 13 inches x 19 inches, you can bring your designs to life with incredible detail thanks to the 6-color ink system including grey ink and 9600 x 2400 maximum colour dots per inch.
Plus, you can wirelessly print from any Wi-Fi-enabled device in your home or office. Don’t settle for a small 8 inches x 10 inches world, upgrade to the Canon iP8720 and take your printing capabilities to the next level.
- High-Quality Printing: The Canon iP8720 offers detailed and high-quality prints, supporting photos up to 13″ x 19″, essential for architects focusing on precision.
- 6-Color Ink System: The printer’s 6-color ink system, including grey ink, enhances color accuracy and depth, ensuring vibrant and nuanced prints.
- Wireless Printing: Enables convenient printing from any Wi-Fi-enabled device, providing flexibility and eliminating the need for direct connections.
- Limited Affordability: Priced under $300, but may still be relatively expensive for architects on a tight budget.
- Single-Functionality: While excelling in printing quality, it lacks additional scanning or copying functions, limiting its versatility.
- Space Consideration: Its design might not be the most space-efficient, which could be a concern for users with limited workspace.
3.HP Envy Inspire 7955e — Best HP Printer For Architects Under 200$
If you’re an architect looking for a printer that won’t break the bank but still has all the necessary features, the HP Envy Inspire 7955e is definitely worth considering.
This wireless colour all-in-one printer is stylish and compact, making it perfect for both offices and homes. With its touch screen, borderless printing, auto-duplex, auto document feeder, separate photo tray, and Epeat qualification, it’s clear that this printer is designed with convenience and efficiency in mind.
It’s incredibly easy to set up and use, too. What’s more, when you activate HP+, you get six months of free ink subscription, ensuring that you’ll never run out of ink. You also get access to smart features like mobile printing, security, automatic updates, and more. It’s no wonder the HP Envy Inspire 7955e was named a LAPTOP Mag 2022 Editor’s Choice, with its ability to cater to the whole family’s printing needs.
- Affordability: Priced under $200, making it budget-friendly for architects.
- All-in-One Functionality: Combines printing, scanning, and copying features in one device.
- Stylish and Compact Design: Fits well in both office and home environments.
- User-Friendly: Easy to set up and use, suitable for users with varying levels of experience.
- Touch Screen: Features a touch screen for convenient navigation and control.
- Limited Professional Features: While suitable for general printing needs, it may lack some advanced features required for professional architectural work.
- Possible Printing Limitations: The printer’s capabilities might not be sufficient for large-scale or high-volume printing tasks.
- Dependence on HP+ Features: Some of the advanced features are dependent on the activation of HP+, which may have associated costs after the initial free period.
4. Epson SureColor P800 Inkjet Printer — The best high-end Wireless Printer For Architects
Architects need a printer that can handle their high-resolution prints, and the Epson SureColor P800 Inkjet Printer delivers.
Not only does it offer wireless connectivity, but it also boasts USB 2.0 and 10/100 Wired Ethernet options for even more flexibility.
With superior black density and vivid colour, this printer delivers unmatched print quality thanks to its Epson UltraChrome HD Inks. It also has versatile media handling capabilities, allowing for borderless printing on fine art papers, photo papers, and poster boards up to 17″ wide.
Additionally, the printer has an optional roll feeder for roll-based printing. With its production-capacity cartridges and advanced black-and-white photo mode, the SureColor P800 is an excellent high-end printer for architects.
- High-Resolution Prints: Capable of handling detailed and precise high-resolution prints.
- Wireless Connectivity: Offers wireless printing, enhancing flexibility in office setup.
- Versatile Connectivity: Provides USB 2.0 and 10/100 Wired Ethernet options for diverse connectivity needs.
- Superior Print Quality: Boasts superior black density and vivid colors with Epson UltraChrome HD Inks.
- Versatile Media Handling: Supports borderless printing on various media up to 17″ wide.
- High-End Pricing: The printer’s advanced features may come with a higher price tag.
- Possibly Larger Footprint: Architects with limited space may need to consider the printer’s size in their setup.
5.Epson EcoTank ET-8550 —The best Wireless printer For Architects Under 1000$ & Highly Rated
Are you an architect or a creative professional in need of a reliable printer that won’t break the bank? Look no further than the Epson EcoTank Photo ET-8550.
This all-in-one super tank printer boasts impressive connectivity technology with wireless capabilities, making it easy to print from anywhere in the office or at home. With a variety of special features including auto document feeder, borderless printing, touch screen, and auto-duplex, this printer provides versatility to meet all of your printing needs.
The Epson EcoTank Photo ET-8550 also offers extraordinary media support, allowing you to print borderless photos up to 13″ x 19″ and accommodate cardstock, CDs and DVDs, and other speciality media up to 1.3 mm thick. Plus, with low-cost replacement ink bottles, you can save up to 80% on replacement ink costs.
Affordable and highly rated, the Epson EcoTank Photo ET-8550 is the best wireless printer for architects under $1000.
- Affordability: Budget-friendly option for architects.
- Wireless Connectivity: Advanced wireless capabilities for convenient printing.
- Versatility: All-in-one functionality with auto document feeder, borderless printing, touch screen, and auto-duplex features.
- Media Support: Extraordinary support for various media types, including borderless photos up to 13″ x 19″ and specialty media up to 1.3 mm thick.
- Cost-Efficient Ink: Low-cost replacement ink bottles, potentially saving up to 80% on ink replacement.
- Possibly Lower Print Speed: May have a slightly lower print speed, particularly compared to traditional cartridge-based printers.
- May Lack Advanced Professional Features: Some advanced features required for professional architectural work may be limited.
- Limited Print Size: A maximum print size of 13″ x 19″ might be restricting for architects needing larger format printing.
6. Canon Prograf 1000 — Best Printer Architects gallery-quality prints Under 1000$ & Highly Rated
If you are an architect looking for a printer to produce gallery-quality prints under 1000$ that has a high rating, then the Canon Prograf 1000 is the perfect match for you. However, if you want to take it up a notch, the imagePROGRAF PRO-300 inkjet photo and fine art printer have got you covered.
With its ultimate productivity features such as the Nozzle Recovery System and Skew Correction, you can count on this printer to bring your images to life with ease. Not only does it offer professional image quality, but it also has a smaller footprint, making it an ideal choice for any workspace.
The 9-colour plus Chroma Optimizer ink system is designed to impress even the most discerning photographers, with results that your images deserve. Furthermore, checking ink levels, printer status, and other settings is an effortless task thanks to its 3.0” COLOR LCD MONITO.
Get the creative control you need to take your images to the next level with the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-300.
- Affordability: Positioned as an affordable option for architects seeking gallery-quality prints under $1000.
- Highly Rated: Positive user ratings and reviews.
- Ultimate Productivity Features:
- Professional Image Quality: Designed to deliver professional-grade image quality suitable for gallery prints.
- Compact Footprint: Despite advanced features, the printer has a smaller footprint, making it suitable for various workspaces.
- Possibly Limited Print Size: Maximum print size might be a consideration for architects with larger format printing needs.
- Not Wireless: Lack of wireless connectivity, potentially less convenient for users who prioritize wireless printing.
- Pricing Verification: While positioned as under $1000, users should verify the current market prices.
7. Canon PIXMA Pro 10 – Best Printer for Architect’s Office Use
When it comes to printing high-quality images, architects need a printer that can deliver both detail and vibrancy.
The Canon PIXMA Pro 10 has quickly become a standout choice for professional use due to its pigment-based inks and Chroma Optimizer, which provide a stunning glossiness and wide colour gamut. Pair that with the Optimum Image Generating System, which selects the best ink combination and placement for the intended colours, and you’ll get printed images that are true to life.
Plus, with the Print Studio Pro Plug-in software, creating and printing photos has never been easier. And don’t forget about the three dedicated monochrome inks, which allow for stunning black and white prints.
With its wireless connectivity and auto-document feeder, the Canon PIXMA Pro 10 is sure to be a go-to printer for any architect’s office.
- Professional Image Quality: Designed for architects needing high-quality images with pigment-based inks and Chroma Optimizer for stunning glossiness and wide color gamut.
- Optimum Image Generating System: Enhances print quality by selecting the best ink combination and placement for intended colors, ensuring true-to-life printed images.
- Print Studio Pro Plug-in Software: Simplifies photo creation and printing tasks, providing a user-friendly experience for architects.
- Dedicated Monochrome Inks: Three dedicated monochrome inks enable the creation of impressive black and white prints with depth and clarity.
- Wireless Connectivity: Equipped with wireless connectivity, adding flexibility to an architect’s office setup for convenient printing.
- Possibly Limited Print Size: Architects with larger format printing needs may need to consider the maximum print size.
- Verification of Wireless Features: Users should verify specific details of wireless connectivity and features for accurate information.
- Pricing Consideration: Confirm the current market prices to assess the overall value and affordability.
8. Brother HL-L8360CDW — The best laser printer for Architecture cad prints Under 500$
Architecture students and professionals require a top-notch printer to produce high-quality CAD prints.
The Brother HL-L8360CDW is a game-changer in the world of colour laser printers under $500, providing excellent connectivity options such as Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and even mobile printing.
With its super high-yield cartridges, this printer can handle intense workloads without running out of ink any time soon. It also boasts a remarkably fast print speed of up to 33 pages per minute for colour printing.
Automatic duplex printing is a nifty feature that allows you to print on both sides of the page, increasing efficiency and reducing paper costs. The Brother HL-L8360CDW is the best printer for architects who want high-quality prints without breaking the bank.
- Affordability: Priced under $500, offering a cost-effective solution for architecture students and professionals.
- Super High-Yield Cartridges: Handles intense workloads with less frequent ink replacements due to super high-yield cartridges.
- Fast Print Speed: Remarkably fast print speed of up to 33 pages per minute for color printing, ensuring efficiency.
- Automatic Duplex Printing: Increases efficiency and reduces paper costs by printing on both sides of the page automatically.
- Suitability for CAD Prints: Tailored for architecture CAD prints, meeting the specific needs of professionals and students.
- Possibly Limited Print Quality: Laser printers may have limitations in achieving detailed and vibrant colors compared to some inkjet counterparts.
- May Lack Advanced Color Features: Users with specific color accuracy requirements should verify if the printer meets advanced color management needs.
- Limited Media Handling: Laser printers might have limitations in handling specialty media or larger format printing.
FAQ’s Best CAD Printers For Architects
The best printer for architecture jobs depends on specific needs and preferences, but some popular options include the Epson EcoTank-8850 and the Canon iP8720
Architects often use a variety of printers, including large-format printers like the Epson SureColor series and the HP Envy series, as well as high-quality desktop printers like the Epson EcoTank-8850, Epson SureColor P800 Inkjet Printer and HP Envy Inspire 7955e
Architects typically use large-format printers, such as the HP DesignJet series or the Epson SureColor P800, to print house plans due to their ability to handle larger paper sizes.
Engineers and architects commonly use large-format printers like the Epson EcoTank-8850 or the Canon iP8720 for printing architectural drawings and plans.
Having a printer is beneficial for architects as it allows them to easily print and share physical copies of their designs, communicate with clients, and create portfolios. However, it is not an absolute necessity in the digital age.
es, architects often use laser printers for their speed, precision, and ability to handle high-volume printing. Models like the HP LaserJet Pro series or the Canon imageCLASS series are popular choices.
In architecture, a 3D printer is a device that uses additive manufacturing technology to create three-dimensional physical models or prototypes of architectural designs. It allows architects to visualize and analyze their designs in a tangible form.
The size of an architectural printer varies depending on the specific model and purpose. Large-format printers used for architectural plans can handle paper sizes of 24 inches, 36 inches, or even larger. Desktop printers used by architects are typically compact and can handle standard paper sizes up to 11×17 inches or larger.
In conclusion, having the right CAD printer is essential for architects. It can help you create fine-detailed drawings easier and faster.
The 8 best CAD printers for architects are Epson Sure Color P400 Photo Printer, Canon imageProGraf PRO-1000 Professional Photo Inkjet, HP ENVY Photo 7855 All-in-One Printer, Brother MFCJ895DW Wireless All-in-One Inkjet Printer, Canon Pixma iP8720 Wireless Inkjet Photo Printer, Brother HL3170CDW Digital Color Printer, Epson Expression ET2550 EcoTank Wireless All-in-One InkJet, and Brother HL3140CW Digital Color Printer.
Each printer has unique features that are perfect for creatives who need a range of printing output from large-scale drawings to intricate 3D renderings. Whichever one you choose will definitely give great value to your work-related projects so make sure to purchase the one that would meet all your print needs. Have you decided which one suits your needs?
Let us know and don’t forget to share on social media!
You May Also Like: